SC - period frog recipes?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 10 00:45:50 PST 2000

Anahita asked:
> Oh, and does anyone know where i can find a late period mustard sauce
> recipe? I was thinking of taking store-bought Dijon and adding some
> white wine and honey and some spices... Does this sound reasonable or
> am i talking through my hat?

I can't remember how many of the recipes in this file in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS
section are late period, but there ought to be a few with the number
that are in there.
mustard-msg       (83K)  7/11/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.

We just finished our baronial Yule Revel this evening. I ended up making
Hais and Gingerbrede for my portion of the pot luck. I had two other
items, both from Cariadoc's Miscellany, but time just got away from me.
These were the cheese and flour cake and Frytour Blanched. Since I've
bought the recipes, I guess I'll just have to make them for us. :-)

I think next year though that I might make a selection of mustards and
other period sauces, though. There were several dishes of roast meats
and chickens plus what the barony provided, but only one, tiny jar of
commercial mustard.

Oh yes, the gingerbrede and hais went over well. There was nothing
left to bring home.

The gringerbread was actually left over from a demo several weeks ago.
I was trying to use them as 'rewards' for trying the NW/OW food game.
But they were way too soft and just slowly oozed into a single layer
on the plate. I had made them in balls. I brought the disaster home,
heated it up again and added more breadcrumbs. And then since they
had been pretty sticky, I rolled them in powdered cinnamon to make
them less sticky.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net