SC - buttered parsnips/period parsnip recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Dec 11 00:05:07 PST 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> BTW, what good period recipes for parsnips can people recommend? Are
> buttered and spiced parsnips documentable? I just started cooking these
> and have discovered that they are _delicious_ and would love to serve them
> in an SCA context....

Check this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of my files:
root-veg-msg      (74K) 10/13/00    Medieval and period root vegetables.

There is a modern recipe for this. And the following:
> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:54:32 -0400
> From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - white drinks and other
>
> Mark Harris wrote:
> > Not for the swans, but wouldn't a turnip dish fit the idea of a "white" dish?
> > Was there a mashed turnip dish similar to our mashed potatos?
>
> I believe Digby has a recipe for mashed, buttered parsnips. They'd be
> pretty white. Is there a specific chronological theme for this feast?
>
> Adamantius

There is another message (from Adamantius) which details this recipe more,
but I thought it was too long to post. There are also a number of other
recipes, both period and not.

Parsnips also show up in the compost recipes. Not quite what I think
you were asking for, but another possibility. The info on those is
now in this file in the FOOD section:
compost-msg       (33K) 11/ 9/00    A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.

I hope this gives you some recipes you will like.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net