SC - period fried foods

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Mon Dec 11 00:50:20 PST 2000

Adamantius commented:
> This is one of very few references to flouring before frying that we
> have, I believe. The other that I can think of, is in Taillevent, I
> think, when he says to fry squid or cuttlefish (IIRC) without first
> coating it in flour. The implication seems to have been that it was done
> commonly, and in this case he didn't think it should be done. Certainly
> if you go by English recipes only, you can easily get the impression
> that floured, fried foods did not exist in period.

There's a mushroom recipe in Rumpolt which requires you to flour
mushrooms and fry them, and another similar one for apples.  Recipes
beneath, courtesy of Gwen Catrin von Berlin
(http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm).  I am very enamoured
of these German recipes, just cooked a Yule feast from Rumpolt and
Sabrina Welserin - lovely selection of dishes, lovely recipes.
(Gwen, I'll send you a copy of the menu, since I used your
translation heavily).

19. Take PELTZSCHWAMMEN <<Sorry, no clue.. some sort of fungi I think,
but cant tell which kind>> / cut them nicely longwise/ not thickly/
wash them nicely clean. Take farina and flour together/ salt and
pepper it/ sprinkle the mushroom well therewith/ and toss them into
hot butter/ and let them bake (fry) slowly/ sprinkle them with pepper/
and give it warm to the table/ so it is a baked (fried) mushroom.

Take apples/ and cut them into quarters and sprinkle them
with flour/ and throw them into hot butter and bake (fry) them/
sprinkle them with sugar/ and serve warm to the table, so one calls
geschwembte apples.  (Marx Rumpolt)

JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm