SC - RE: Foreign language posts

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Dec 12 07:45:23 PST 2000

> OK Gunthar you're the list admin & have the right to lay that down as a
> rule, but I'm going suggest that you think about it a bit more.
>
> When it comes to info on actual period recipes/food habits, let's
> encourage exchange of info however we can get it, rather than restricting
> it.
>
> Eden - italian girl

I have no problem with exchanging information, posting recipes in their
original language or disagreements with my decisions. I'm willing to change
my views if the rest of the list wants that. However I still feel that posting
recipes or quotes with no translation or request for translation has
very little benefit for most subscribers to this list. If a recipe or quote is
provided to the list I would at least like a request added for more
knowledgable
members to translate it for those of us who don't happen to read Lower
Slovakian. Otherwise it sometimes appears to be "Here is information on
what we are talking about. At least I think it is because I don't read Lower
Slovakian". I'm sure people may put that into their files in the hopes of
finding someone who can read it and maybe post it. But it would be better
to send a post saying "I don't read Lower Slovakian, but here is a quote
from a 14th C. Lower Slovakian manuscript that I believe is discussing
roasted Mongolian Pandybat. Could anyone help with a translation?"
Still a post from an original source in its original language but hopefully
It will generate a response from someone. As it stands now just sending
an untranslated posting with no real comment will be either filed away by
some or ignored by most.

On a bit of a related note, I work at a company that is pretty much the
UN. If people have recipes in some foreign language such as Russian,
Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Indian or some others I could possibly get
a translation.

If the list wishes untranslated posts then I will reverse my request.

Gunthar