SC - Toad in the Hole

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 20:09:04 PST 2000

- --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> I had understood that TITH was originally leftover
> meat hashed or
> shredded with gravy, cooked as above, with,
> specifically, the batter for
> Yorkshire pudding baked thereon, and that sausage
> was a commonly used
> modern variant. Mrs. Beeton's version calls for
> steak and kidney, actually.

Correct.  Were we discussing the original dish or the
more common modern version?  I came in on the topic
when we were talking about toast with an egg in the
center of it.  If I missed the historical reference to
the topic, I appologize.

I have two early versions of Toad in the Hole.  One
does use a batter very similar to Yorkshire pudding
(pan drippings being the most prevailant liquid),
while the other uses a milk based batter with nutmeg
and onion stirred in.  As an aside, the Yorkshire
style recipe calls for a mixture of organ meats to be
added to the shredded meat, including heart, liver and
sweetbreads, I believe.  The other recipe makes no
mention of organ meats or offal.

Balthazar of Blackmoor