SC - Hollands

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Thu Dec 14 13:22:29 PST 2000

Was written:

why not aqua vitae out of Holland by way of the "gentlemen?"

If gin is what is meant, "Gin as we know it today seems to have been first
made by Francis-cus de la Boe (1614-72)".  But by 1575 a type of gin
distilled from rye was sold by Bols of Amsterdam.

Regards aqua vitae Thaddeus of Florence (1223-1303)wrote a book about using
distillates titled "De Virtue Aquae Vitae" and in 1310 Arnaud in refering,
in his book Liber de Vinis, to aqua vine, adds the comment "but some name it
...aqua vitae"  These appear to have been distillates of wine.

The above information is from "The Penguin Book of Spirits and Liqueurs".

Daniel Raoul