SC - Maraschino Cherries and Spices

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at home.com
Fri Dec 15 12:21:10 PST 2000

    Do you have any "GROCERY OUTLET" stores there?  Or a COSTCO?  Those are
excellent places to find items in large amounts for low prices.  We live
near Portland, OR so I don't know what is in your area.  But I bet you
could find a quart or gallon size bottle of Maraschino Cherries at one of
these places.

    Also, perhaps I made a wrong assumption that everyone on this list knew
about PENZEY'S?  They are "THE" spice company!  i don't know how fast you
need your spices (tonight?  or next week?) but they do get their orders
shipped out pretty quickly.  You can also order online (or just order a
catalog) at www.penzeys.com and I KNOW you can get cardamom pods there,
because I've ordered some from them before!

Merry Christmas!
- -Laurene

At 12:15 PM 12/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:14:44 -0800
>From: "Bonne of Traquair" <oftraquair at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: SC - regional american food
>
>Evidently, maraschino cherries are a regional food.  Here in Caid, I can
>only find a tiny 10-oz bottle on the liquor aisle at the grocery store for
>$4.  Back home in Atlantia, I could get a pound jar from the same shelf as
>the fruitcake fruit for about the same cost.  And I need at least that much
>for my Christmas baking.  I guess I can use glaceed cherries.  Or dried
>cherries.
>
>*Sigh*
>
>I was having a real bad ingredient hunting day yesterday.  First, every
>grocery in town for the non-existent cherries (I'm not paying that price for
>the amount I need.)  Then, I went all over northern Orange county looking
>for cardamom pods.  Back home, at least 5 different places sold a large
>variety of spices by weight, 3 within walking distance of home, and 2 within
>walking distance of my office.  Here, the only place I could find it here
>was Wholefoods--whose bulk spice selection is nothing like at home.  And it
>was the kind already out of the pod, but I wanted pods.
>

>And my computer at home is still down.
>
>Bonne
>(from Tony's office)

        COME SEE OUR WEB SITE!