Persian lemons (was RE: : SC - Coconuts in Period)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 19:59:39 PST 2000

>Since the word lemon derives from the Persian "limun," I would have
>expected
>Persian lemons to be just that lemons from Persia, I suppose the name is a
>marketing ploy.  What I think you may have are pomelos (AKA, pumelo,
>pummelo, shaddock, etc.) scientifically known a Citrus maximus or C.
>grandis.  They are a sweet, thick rind citrus fruit originally from SE
>Asia.

The lemons in the grocery catering to persian immigrants here in Irvine
sells 'sweet lemons'.  A little thinner skinned and a little more expensive
than the regular lemons (5 for $1 instead of  20 for $1, I'm loving the
costs of fresh fruits and veg around here!) .  Regular lemon-sized.  Tasted
like lemondade to me,  I didn't think of them as grape-fruity.   Definately
not pomelos which are sold further down the aisle.   I wondered if they were
the Meyer lemons that were discussed here a while back?

The lack of tartness makes them wrong for the reasons we buy lemons (iced
tea garnish or tahini ingredient.)  I thought they might be good as lemon
cake flavoring, or lemon pie.  And I was going to try making syrup also so
let me know how that goes, Selene.

Bonne