SC - question ...

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 17:26:19 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/19/2000 6:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shoshanah at earthlink.net writes:

> I'm about to show my ignorance, but my heartsister needs to know this,
>  so here goes.

First off, nobody here is ignorant, we just haven't learned some detail yet.
That said, let me start by welcoming you to the list. :)

>  What is the difference between brandy and cognac? Is cognac a kind of
>  brandy?  Also, what is bagnol?  Anyone know?  TIA!

Cognac is a kind of Brandy made, strangely enough, in the area around Cognac
France. I'm given to understand it's mostly distilled from white grapes.
Personally I prefer Calvados (which is made from apples), but there's no
accounting for taste <G>.

Most if not all Brandies are distilled from some kind of fermented fruit,
then aged in oak to give them a distinct flavor. The process usually colors
them, although there are white Brandies also, and some have caramel color
added. Go figure.

There is a town named Bagnols near Leon France according to the online
Encyclopedia. I couldn't find any other references, but I'll keep looking. If
somebody else knows then they can tell us. I remain:

Yours in service

Corwyn