SC - Taillevent bio

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Dec 21 14:44:23 PST 2000

Vincent Cuenca wrote:
> Offhand, does anyone know if Guillaume Tirel was nobly born or a commoner?
> His knighthood for service to the House of Valois would seem less unusual if
> her were nobly born.  I've found a few instances of cooking knights (Sir
> Kenelm Digby being one, and a Gonzalvo Gil listed in a c1300 roll of members
> in the Order of Santiago as "cozinero mayor del rey" or head cook to the
> king).  Were these cases of additional honors being bestowed on those
> already entitled, or the elevation of commoners due to their skills?
>
> Vicente
> (knighthood for cooking... hmmm...)

You might want to take a look through this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section
of my files:
cb-rv-Taillvt-msg  (9K)  7/14/99    Reviews of books having Taillevent’s recipes

Some of the referances reviewed in this file might have the answers you seek.
Or this file in the FEASTS section:
p-cooks-msg       (16K)  1/20/00    Comments on specific period cooks.

Thank you Vicente and Adamantius for this info. I was unaware of these
cooks being knights/knighted. This I'm going to have to get into the
Florilegium, and keep in mind for future arguments.

Stefan, a trouble-maker? Nah...
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net