SC - Zampone

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 21 22:25:57 PST 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > The filling of a zampone is a basic cotechino "boiling" sausage, only
> > encased in the boned-out pig's trotter instead of a gut casing.
> > Cotechino (at least modern cotechino) isn't much different from
> > cervelato or saveloy, for which we have period Italian and German
> > (Austrian?) recipes. Whether anything like a zampone was made, I
> > couldn't say, but it's not impossible, I suppose.
> >
> > Hope this helps...
>
> Boiled sausage? Where would you put if when you drive out onto the ice
> during the half? I'd think it would be a problem if you spilled any, and
> it would stick to the skate blades....

Hah! HAH!!!!

Half, you say? HALF??? What half??? Half-time in a figure-skating
tournament? A hockey game has three periods, ma'am!

> ...uh, _zampone_ you say?

Adamantius, fan of the team with both the most goals scored _and_ the
most goals scored against, in the NHL, and foaming at the mouth while
making yet another batch of emergency Christmas cookies between 1 and 2
AM. Bah, humbug! Are there no prisons?
>            ^
>
> Oh.
>
> _Never mind_....  :-D
>
> 'Lainie
> (who's hair looks suspiciously like Rosanne Rosannadanna today...)

Well, 'Lainie, it just goes to show you...

It's aaaalways something... If it's not one thing, it's another. If it's
not a giant pig's foot stuffed with cooked salami smoothing out the ice
during halftime, it's a cookie press at %$#@* 1:24 AM...

Adamantius, realizing with a blinding flash that there are probably now
people on the Cooks' List who don't remember Roseanne Roseannadanna
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com