SC - Treacle?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 22 19:40:00 PST 2000

> Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:
> << Ok folks, I need help.  What is it?
>  We are making a steamed pudding for Christmas and this is one of the
>  ingredients.  I was thinking it was like a molasses.
>   >>

>     Yeps...treacle is an older term for molasses.
>
>         Siobhan

Yep. More details on treacle, molasses and other forms of sugar, both
period and modern can be found in this file in the FOOD-SWEET section
of my files:
sugar-msg        (115K) 10/20/00    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.

There are a great many different types of sugar. A lot more than I would
have ever imagined before joining this list.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net