SC - Cider sauce

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 25 19:34:25 PST 2000

Greetings and Merry Christmas, Glad Yule, Happy Hannauka, and
other and various seasonal holiday greetings.

Tyrca here, and I wanted to report my experiences with the
Spanish Cider sauce.

Here in our local Canton, we have our little local Yule revel,
and ours was the 17th of December. It is a sort of loose potluck
(in fact, on the Lindenwood mailing list, in the discussion
during our prepations for the revel, one of our members got on
and asked the autocrat if we were required to do period recipes,
or could they bring "real" food.)

I decided to bring a pork roast with 4 sauces, then did the
cider sauce, a mustard sauce, a cup with the juice from the
roast, and a cherry sauce.

For the cider sauce, I put a quart of apple cider, a quarter cup
of white wine vinegar, a half cup of brown sugar (I happened to
have more of it on hand that day, and it seemed more appropriate
somehow) and spices to include a half teaspoon of ground
cinnamon, quarter teaspoon of ginger and of cloves.

I left it to simmer on low for a couple of hours, stirring
periodically, and when I saw it thicken and coat the back of my
spoon, I took it off the fire.  It was considerablly darker, and
reminded me strongly of honey.  The color and texture was very
much alike.

At the feast, I put the meat on a tray, with 4 cups of sauces,
and those brave enough to try it raved!  I actually couldn't get
enough of it myself.  It was absoutly wonderful  The feast was
good, we had Scandanavian Green Soup (from Gunnora's Viking
Answer Lady website), bbq brisket and baked beans, roast
potatoes and pork, banana pudding, homemade cheesecake
(unbelievable with the cider sauce by the way!!!) cheeseballs
and ham slices and crackers, onion pottage, lots of good stuff,
and surprisingly more period food than I would have thought.

And now to chapter 2.  With Christmas looming, and the family
tired of turkey, I got us a spiral slice ham, and this morning,
put it in the oven with a glaze of cider sauce (left over in the
refrigerator).  I "repainted" it about every 20 minutes for an
hour or so, and it turned out better than any old honey glazed
ham I have ever had.

Thank you all so much for the recipe, I have had wonderful
success.!

Tyrca

=====
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Canton of Lindenwood
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth & Dallas, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra