SC - Buying lamb

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Dec 26 07:25:24 PST 2000

At 06:47 AM 12/26/00 -0600, you wrote:
>To keep this on topic, I will mention that it is VERY hard, to my disgust,
>to find lamb in Ansteorra.  I spent many years in Chicago, which has a high
>Greek population and I could get lamb any time of the year, in almost any
>quantity (sometimes you had to order ahead for a leg, but there were always
>steaks and ground lamb available).  Here I just see very expensive cyropaks.
>I do like beef, but occasionally want something lamb.  Any suggestions,
>other than stocking the freezer when I see a deal?
>                                        ---= Morgan
I stumbled on to the OSU meat lab a few years ago.  Students training to
become butchers and meat inspectors have cattle, pigs and lambs to
slaughter, inspect and butcher.  They sell meat as a sideline, usually at
better prices than the local stores.  Since they have instructors watching
everything they do, I didn't worry about bad cuts.  Everything is sold
prewrapped and frozen, so you can't inspect by sight.  But, in buying over
several years, I never purchased any bad meat.  Leanna