SC - candied peel question

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 10:22:52 PST 2000

I've had an enthusiasm to try candying (orange) peel for a while (have
collected several versions of the process from list and net sites, thank
you kindly), but I don't (!) eat oranges, let alone large volumes of
them.  So, any ideas on a practical way to accumulate peel, short of
buying a box and keeping only the peel?  THAT $ound$ not too great a
$trategy.

However, at Christmas, I LOVE fresh mandarins, and have gone through two
5# boxes this year, throwing the peels into a freezer zip-bag.  They seem
to freeze very quickly, probably because they're so thin?, no drying or
discoloration, so I think I may be on to something.

Anyone know how well this "accumulate in the freezer" actually pays off?
Tricks for optimum de-frost??  Do you defrost them at all or just dump
them in the syrup still frozen?

Since mandarin skins are so much thinner than orange peel, any tricks
there?   How do you get the white pith off something as thin as mandarin
peel -- VERY carefully, or is there something easier?  i.e. can you
scrape pith with a spoon edge while peels are still frozen?   etc., etc.

Hmm, I seem to be coming up with some possible solutions, don't I.  But
would anyone out there know whether they work??

Thanks in advance,
Chimene