SC - foreign cook was What would you do?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Dec 27 13:06:53 PST 2000

> >I'd need LOTS more practice with period cooking and sit-down meals, since
> >all my experience with SCA meal planning, preparation and serving has been
> >dayboards. However, I kinda would like to consider it a goal to cook an
> >SCA feast.
> Have you latched onto a feast cook as their deputy for an event?

That's an excellent idea. While one of my goals for this year is to get
more experience in feast kitchens (as well as, if possible, cooking one
breakfast out of period foods that people will eat), I never thought of it
in those concrete terms. I like it. Thank you.

> Another way to get yourself moved into the (unofficial) list of people who
> can cook an event might be to cook an unofficial feast.  Perhaps a special
> meal for a household?

Well, I just got a coleman stove with grill for Christmas. Add that to the
cheesy camp stove I already have, and I could do a friday night dinner for
my closest friends at one of our camping events. (I don't belong to any of
the local households.) That won't influence the situation locally, but it
will be something to do!

> The objection must be local.  Perhaps it can be overcome.  My first feast
> was for the canton next door.

That _is_ reassuring to know. One thing that I gathered from you and
Brangweyna (I'm sorry, I know I butchered that spelling) is that if a
group needs someone to do special purpose cooking, they are more likely to
go out of the local group if they don't have someone handy to do that kind
of cooking.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"