SC - Fw: [TY] Info needed

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 27 19:30:39 PST 2000

Well, pears are used in literature (especially 14th-15th c French and
English fabliaux) as symbols of sexual relations and conception. The
Merchant's Tale (Canterbury Tales), which is stolen from Boccachio, has
May deceiving her old husband January by clombing into a pear tree
ostensibly to pick fruit. Her lover is hidden in teh tree, and guess
what they do? (HOW is what I've always wondered. IN a tree? And they
didn't fall out?)

I seem to remember that eating pears is supposed to encourage
concupiscence, but I can't remember where I read that.

'Lainie
who loves pears but doesn't climb trees...