SC - mazers????

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Dec 28 22:34:17 PST 2000

Daniel Raoul replied:
> Was asked:
> what's a mazer?
>
> Check out the book "Wassail! In Mazers of Mead" chapter XIII Horns, Mazers
> and Mether Cups.  A mazer is a wooden drinking vessel.  Quote, "The wooden
> vessels, whether ornamented with silver or not, are known as mazers, from a
> Middle English word related to maple, which was the favorite wood for the
> vessel.

 <snip of lots of wonderful information>

Wow! Thanks, Daniel for a lot of good info. From previous discussions
here there is also a little bit in this file in the FOOD-UTENSILS section
of the Florilegium:
mazers-msg         (6K)  8/27/99    Medieval drinking bowls originally
of wood.

I think Admantius(?) was speaking in terms of a kitchen staff position,
though. I've not heard of this position before and would like to hear
about
this, too.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net