SC - Period fried food

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Dec 1 05:55:40 PST 2000

> I'm not aware of any period fried foods that indicate to cook them in
> a deep bath of oil. Or any foods that would require the use of a deep
> bath of oil rather than a shallow pool of oil in a pan. If you know
> of any, or other evidence that deep frying was done commonly in period,
> please let us know.

Ok, you are frying your fritters in a shallow pool of oil then? How do you
make that work?

> I'm not disputing that. There were few other choices. And some of
> these, such as olive oil, were limited to particular regions. What I
> am questioning is that lard was cheap enough to be commonly used in
> deep frying.

Oil used in deep frying can be (and still is) recycled and used
repeatedly. Pork was a rather popular meat among those who could afford it
Anyone have any stat on how much lard you get off of one pig if it hasn't
been raised in the modern fashion, on kitchen scraps?

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker