SC - Help! Cabbage! Cakes!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 2 12:19:52 PST 2000

First, can someone *please* post the recipe for cabbage and apples
from Santich? I cannot locate my copy of the book. I've been spending
my nights curled up in bed with "The Medieval Kitchen", "Curye on
Inglishe", and Lord Cariadoc's two volume set of nearly miniature
reproductions - good thing i'm near sighted.

I bought all the spices for the feast today - including over two
pounds of cinnamon powder, almost 2 pounds of ginger powder, a box of
saffron that smells fabulous, cubebs (which are very much smaller
than those i purchased in the 1970's), spikenard, and grains of
paradise. There's way more than that, but i won't bore everyone with
the details except to say that every time i walk past the bag it
smells like paradise. Tomorrow i'll buy the cider and start cooking
the cider sauce.

One thing i dread is pre-boiling the sausages. That is the suggestion
from the experienced hands here. Then finishing them on site where
most of the cooking will be done. I'm an ex-vegetarian and rarely eat
meat and more rarely cook it at home. And i'm not looking forward to
the smell of 160 simmering sausages scenting my domicile...

As is typical here, there will be bread, butter, and cheese on the
tables. There will be an estimated 80 diners, at tables of 8 diners.
How much cheese should i allot per person? I'm guessing 1/4 lb. I'm
planning to have fairly period cheeses and found some Emmenthal that
smells great and is reasonable, some reasonable Brie (probably not
great but affordable); still looking for affordable gouda, parmesan
(i love to eat slices of it), and munster. I hope this is appreciated
over the more usual plates of cheap cheddar and soft jack.

We've discussed flavored butters before, and as i recall only turned
up late period ones, either with cinnamon or rosewater. Would it be
terrible if i made some sort of herb butter?

The feast is Sunday the 10th. How far ahead should i make Digbie's
Excellent Small Cakes? I was never much as a baker as i'm not that
fond of sweets, and i haven't baked in ages except the occasional
Tollhouse recipe off the Nestle's chocolate chips bag. Since they're
cookies i'm assuming they'll keep several days at least.

Panic! Panic!

Anahita

For myself personally today i bought a small wedge of Stilton with
little chunks of lemon peel throughout. Mmm-mmm. Not period, but
delicious.