SC - RE: chocolate cream - 1604 Or it is?

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Mon Dec 4 08:18:21 PST 2000

I had a feeling it was going to be like this when this recipe was posted.

A bunch of people are all understandably excited about what looks like a
recipe for chocolate cream from 1604, but I feel the need to throw a little
cold water on your fun guys - here's the relevant paragraph:

> > >From the introductory note:
> > "Lady Elynor apparently started the book in 1604 and
> bequeathed it to her
> > niece Ann Poole in 1647.  A number of recipes were added
> latter [sic] in
> > other hands probably from the late 17th or early 18th centuries..."

I don't happen to have my copy of Fettiplace at the moment, but Spurling
rarely indicates which recipes are pre 1647 and which were added later.  I
strongly suspect that this is one of the latter.  (and even if it isn't it's
probably closer to 1647 than 1604) someone with book in hand want to weigh
in here?

Eden - skeptic of the day

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com