SC - Cider Sauce Experiments

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 08:08:58 PST 2000

Olwen wrote:
>>CIDER SAUCE
>>Source: Diego Granado, Libro del Arte de Cozina, 1599
>>Translation & Redaction: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
>
>It sounds like your version came out pretty well.  What were you
>going to serve this with again?

Roasted pork loins, which will be rubbed with garlic before going
into the oven. I'm also serving the horseradish-honey sauce and the
garlic-with-nuts sauce that Robin posted.

This is in the second course, with a bunch of other vegetable and
fruit dishes and frumenty.

The sauce is indeed, as Robin/Brighid describes, like refined honey.
I'm thinking of adding a bit more vinegar at the feast - i'll only
have cider vinegar left at that point, but that should taste ok :-)

I also made two gallons of Compost - made my own Lumbard mustard to
go in it. Although i didn't age it long enough, only two days instead
of nine, i think the heat not be a problem, blended in with all the
honey, vinegar, spices, currants, and 15 lb of vegetable and pears. I
will post my process and recipe after i taste it, which i'll probably
do on Saturday. It won't have aged long enough, because i
procrastinated and didn't make it before Thanksgiving but should be
edible, and , i hope, tasty. It would probably be better aged a month
or more, but...

Anahita