Steamed Pudding Recipes - long (OOP) was Re: SC - Spotted Dick/Spotted Dog

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 12:07:44 PST 2000

Anahita wrote:

> Tapioca in beverages has a moderately long history in South and
> Southeast Asia. I used to get it off push carts in Indonesia - you
> could choose what sorts of weird gelatinous thingies floating in
> frighteningly brightly colored sugar syrup. You could get little baby
> coconut things, sold in Philippino stores as "coconut sport" -
> jellied sea grass, which you can get in Chinese stores, etc.

I'd love to know what to do with "coconut sport" or "mutant coconut", it looks
really bizarre but I really love coconut.  Coconut cake for the X-Men perhaps? <g>

> >Or the mini-version of Versailles in the food court, love that garlicky Cuban
> >chicken!]
>
> I hate you! I hate you! I used to eat regularly at Versailles when i
> live in LA. Although i'd occasionally go to "Miami Spice" in Santa
> Monica for great Cuban sandwiches. I haven't found anything like it
> around here, the SF Bay Area.

Don't hate me too much, this would be one indication that they are going into the
franchise business, wouldn't it?  I can't believe that there are no Cuban eateries
in the Bay Area, they've certainly got everything else.  I've found two via
GO.com's restaurant search function
<http://food.go.com/Center/Food_and_drink/Restaurants/U_S/California/Restaurants_in_San_Francisco?svx=restaurant_rest

El Nuevo Fruitlandia
3077 24th Street, San Francisco, CA (Between Guerrero and Valencia Streets)
Phone: 415-648-2958
Port Cafe -- more details
3499 16th Street, San Francisco, CA (at Noe Street)
Phone: 415-552-7645

Well, try them out and tell me if I should hate you instead!

Selene