SC - Re: US bars UK

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 8 10:43:04 PST 2000

Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> >It does seem to be the case that Americans have something of an
> >inferiority complex about our food,
>
> We do, and that's why we keep trying to come up with new ways to showcase
> new foods and combinations.  Who else but Americans would come up with the
> idea of combining Chinese and Cuban/Dominican food?  (Check out Bayamon in
> Greenwich Village, if they're still around) Fried rice and tostones!

Just a quick note as I run out the door ... again...

The various combined Chinese/Cuban restaurants were apparently the
result of Chinese emigrants looking for a nice, non-Communist
environment to settle in after 1949. Imagine their surprise... .
Needless to say, they picked up and moved to the U.S. pretty quickly,
but brought with them the style of cookery and entrepreneurship they had
established in Cuba.

This may also explain why a lot of these particular places look more
like the Chinese restaurants of my childhood in matters of decor and
service, and cookery style.

My wife is especially fond of a good cafe con leche with her Chinese
food, but usually orders the carne guisado con verdura... beef stew with
yucca, batata, etc., in a cilantro-flavored gravy.

Haven't tried Bayamon, and am not sure if they're still there, but the
cuisine is alive and well at Flor de Mayo on the Upper West side.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com