SC - Pigs-Lard production/usage

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 10 16:01:47 PST 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<<Well, actually, completely free-range pigs -- not fenced or herded-- are documented via a first-hand account from the last century in wooded portions of the half-settled parts of the US (Wisconsin, specifically), so I would say that your guess about practices not changing drastically except within the last hundred years may well be true.>>>>>>>

While certainly valid information, one account of one farmer in Wisconsin does not make it common practice.  It occured, but how commonly?  I suggest that the American Pork Producers of America could answer that sort of question for those seeking accurate historical info on turn of the centruy through modern pig husbandr practices regionally and nationally.

niccolo difrancesco