SC - Nanna's Smoked Lamb?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Dec 11 03:13:02 PST 2000

And, of course, this brings to mind all of the wonderful stores we have in the
South about folks unfamiliar with smoked/cured ham being sent one for
Christmas/whatever.  The medium generally used in Virginia for curing hams is
salt...which of course, produces a VERY salty meat.  The secret is that you soak
the ham in vinegar and water for about 12 hours before cooking, then parboil it
for several hours (depending on size) before actually baking it.  The stories
have to do wtih people who try to cook it by just baking it...and winding up
with something totally inedible, and ultimately throwing it away...not a good
thing to do with a Virginia Ham, particularly if it's a Smithfield ham!!

Kiri