SC - Coconuts in Period

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Mon Dec 11 20:27:09 PST 2000

The question has been raised in this house about whether coconuts were used
in SCA period in Europe.  I have done some major searches on-line and have
come up with the following facts:

1) in 1280 the coconut is mentioned by Marco Polo who calls it an Indian
Nut;
2) It was first called a coconut by English explorers in 1555 because the
indentations on the base of the nut resembled monkey (coco meaning either
monkey or monkey face, I can't remember which.

Gwynydd (who wishes to assure the List that just because it came up in a
conversation about lamingtons does not mean that she is trying to prove that
they _could_ have made lamingtons in period!)