SC - RE: Foreign language posts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 12 14:28:24 PST 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Gunthar, I'll second Eden on this.  The untranslated material which comes
> across this list is often from sources to which most of us have no access.
> An English translation would be nice, but the quote from the original source
> is the real meat of researching historical recipes.  I file these away with
> appropriate notes for future reference.  If I believe I need the
> information, it will get translated.
>
> Bear

Um, me too. While I sympathize with the many English-only-speakers on
this list (and I might well be considered one of them, being not
especially fluent in anything but English, but having small smatterings
of a few languages), I would venture to suggest that the total amount of
bandwidth that's been spent on such posts is comparatively little
considering the possible benefit to those who _do_ understand other languages.

Besides, on those occasions when someone has posted an untranslated bit
of "foreign" material, translations have usually been pretty quickly forthcoming.

I'd rather be made aware of untranslated material than be allowed to
think there simply is no material in English (and therefore, by extended
error, no material at all) on a given topic.

Of course, Gunthar, this is your living room, and all, but you might
reconsider the possible benefits versus the possible inconvenience.

Just don't kick me out before dessert is served, okay?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com