SC - Sekanjabin and others

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Dec 12 20:41:30 PST 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

   "cook it down
> until it takes the consistency of a syrup", you need to boil the stuff
> until it thickens, which usually happens when at least 1/4 of the liquid
> has boiled away.

The recipe in the Miscellany calls for cooking Sekanjabin for 30 minutes and
(IIRR) Lemon Syrup for 20 minutes.  The recipe I have for Rose Syrup has it
cooked for 10.  The difference in just-reached-boiling and cooked-to-syrup
consistency is very noticeable.  These syrups will usually be much thicker
(IME) than the commercially available ones.

Gwynydd