SC - Re: [Shire X] rabbit season/duck season/turkey season

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Dec 13 11:27:33 PST 2000

Sorry for the really late reply, I wasnt getting anything from the cooks
list, except for a trickle, and today I got stuff dating back to the
beginning of november [oy, I am down to 856 more cooks posts]

I can beat a 33 lb turkey with a 44 lb one, actually - 2 of them.
When we raised poultry, we had a dozen turkeys as chicks. We ate them
over the course of the next year and an half....the last 2 were immense!
We heated a 55 gal drum of water to dip before plucking them, and popped
them into the freezer [it was august at the time and we didnt feel like
hiring somebody to come in and take care of 2 turkeys for pennsic.]
october came, and we decided to send one to my parents for turkey day.
It was frozen solid, so we wrapped it in a layer of insulite and
surrounded it with packing beads and it arrives still frozen solid. My
parents had a choice, they could either take it to the market to have t
band sawed in half or to take it to a friends resteraunt to run it
through a chain oven as it was too big for their oven. They opted to run
it through the chain oven, and shared it with the people who owned the
resteraunt...they had a heck of a turkey day potluck there from what I
heard.
We also had a 44 lb bird....we had to make a roasting pan and take the
shelves out of the oven and set it up on a pair of bricks. It turned out
beautifully! We also only had 1 other person over for turkey day, so we
had leftover turkey almost until christmas!
margali