SC - regional american food

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Dec 14 15:13:17 PST 2000

At 02:14 PM 12/14/00 -0800,Bonne of Traquair said something like:

>Evidently, maraschino cherries are a regional food.  Here in Caid, I can
>only find a tiny 10-oz bottle on the liquor aisle at the grocery store for
>$4.  Back home in Atlantia, I could get a pound jar from the same shelf as
>the fruitcake fruit for about the same cost.  And I need at least that
>much for my Christmas baking.  I guess I can use glaceed cherries.  Or
>dried cherries.
>
>Bonne
>(from Tony's office)

If you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership, check them for maraschino
cherries. They have the uber size jar (for bars) for about .. $8 ? $10???
something like that.  The jar makes a great liqueur starter when you're
done. I normally purchase my dried cherries at Bates Nut Farms, but I don't
think they're available outside the San Diego area.

Good luck,
Maggie MacD.