SC - regional american food

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 19:02:40 PST 2000

- --- Bonne of Traquair <oftraquair at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Evidently, maraschino cherries are a regional food.
> Here in Caid, I can
> only find a tiny 10-oz bottle on the liquor aisle at
> the grocery store for
> $4.  Back home in Atlantia, I could get a pound jar
> from the same shelf as
> the fruitcake fruit for about the same cost.  And I
> need at least that much
> for my Christmas baking.  I guess I can use glaceed
> cherries.  Or dried
> cherries.

Where are you shopping Girl?  Sheeze.  I guess I
should have given you a better orientation when you
moved here ... I rarely pay for than a dollar or two
for maraschino cherries for the 10 oz jar.

> *Sigh*
>
> I was having a real bad ingredient hunting day
> yesterday.  First, every
> grocery in town for the non-existent cherries (I'm
> not paying that price for
> the amount I need.)  Then, I went all over northern
> Orange county looking
> for cardamom pods.  Back home, at least 5 different
> places sold a large
> variety of spices by weight, 3 within walking
> distance of home, and 2 within
> walking distance of my office.  Here, the only place
> I could find it here
> was Wholefoods--whose bulk spice selection is
> nothing like at home.  And it
> was the kind already out of the pod, but I wanted
> pods.

Have you tried Smart and Final?  I vaguely remember
seeing them there in their bulk spice section.  But
then I really haven't been looking for whole cardamom.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.