SC - Re: Persian lemons

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 20 16:33:38 PST 2000

> Andrea M. wrote:
> > << No ice in the cola? I've heard that it is difficult to get iced tea
> > in England. Any comments from those who are there or have visited >>

It was a while back, so I don't remember clearly.  Since I'm a travel
agent, when I was in England I expected to have to ask for ice in my
drinks,  so perhaps I did so when ordering.  Or perhaps I simply drank only
bottled waters and hot tea (I *love* English tea and was looking forward to
this part of my trip a great deal, so I may have ordered only hot drinks.)

I do remember that I had not problems at any of the restaurants or pubs
that I stopped at and I *only* drink cold drinks cold, although I will
drink water at room temperature if needed without complaint.  I do remember
stopping at a deli just across from Victoria's station and getting ice in
my drink with no problem and having no problems at the dinner in the same
area, but they also seemed very accustomed to tourists.

As a travel agent we advise people in Europe and other countries that they
should expect to ask for ice if they want their drinks cold, but we also
advise them to *not drink* anything except bottled drinks without ice if
they can manage to do so because of health considerations.  Even a
developed country can have bacteria in the water which you system will not
handle well.  It's not that the water is "dirty", it's just that your
system becomes accustomed to the bacteria in your own water system but may
revolt if bacteria from other regions is introduced.  So sticking to hot
drinks and bottled water or juices (which are always served cold) is a
better idea than expecting what you would drink locally.  Besides, half the
fun of visiting another country is sampling things as they serve them,
right ;-)

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier