SC - split peas and other beans.

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 19:32:48 PST 2000

Split peas dont usually have to be soaked. Neither do
lentils. There are a few things that can make them
cook unevenly. One is if they are too old. The other
is too much salt in the water, which is why most
cookbooks will tell you to season in the last few
minutes of cooking, and another is cooking them at a
boil instead of a simmer. This goes for most beans,
whether you need to soak them or not.
Nisha

Yes, I'm thinking that now, after the fact.  But I
didn't think that
split
peas had to be soaked. Oh well, live and learn.
Phillipa
<<
 Maybe you should have soaked them first...I am
assuming here that they
were
 dried.  I know that, with bean soup, you have to soak
the beans
overnight,
then
 cook them for several hours. >>