SC - question ...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Dec 20 20:46:28 PST 2000

Damascena asked:
> I'm about to show my ignorance, but my heartsister needs to know this,
> so here goes.

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list!

Please feel free to ask such questions on this list. Some here have been
cooking medieval foods for years but still seem to learn things here. Others,
such as myself, are still learning to cook modern food as well as period
dishes. I think I've learned a lot just listening and asking questions
(a lot! :-) ) here.

> What is the difference between brandy and cognac? Is cognac a kind of
> brandy?  Also, what is bagnol?  Anyone know?  TIA!

I'm not sure, but it appears others have given you the answer. You might
be interested in reading more about period distilled beverages. A whole
bunch of new information on these came up on this list just within the
past year. I try to capture some of the interesting comments and useful
referances discussed from such conversations and put them in my Florilegium
files. The files on this subject are in the BEVERAGES section and are:
bev-distilled-msg(118K)  9/22/00    Medieval distilled beverages. Distilling.
cordials-msg      (89K)  9/26/00    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.

If you like cordials, these files might also be of interest:
Apricot-Crdal-art (12K)  6/30/00    "Apricot Cardamom Cordial"
                                       by Constance de LaRose.
Kiwi-cordial-art  (10K)  6/23/00    "Prickly Gooseberry, Mango,
Cardamom,
                                       Cordial" by Constance de LaRose.

And when you finish those there are about 1300 more on a wide variety of
subjects including some in the TEXTILE ARTS section which fit with the
card-weaving interest of yours that you mentioned. :-)

Stefan
(who's not very quiet)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net