SC - panini and breast related sweets

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 11:09:50 PST 2000

Anyone ever heard of Nuns Nipples (outside of the
movie "Amadeus")? If
so
how far can they be traced back to...if they even do
exist.
Are these anything like St.agathas breats? Those are a
cake that is covered in a white chocolate glaze and
have a cherry for the nipple. I saw them on a "two fat
ladies show..." You might check out thier cookbooks to
see if you can find the recipe...

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> There's a local cafe here in town (great place--part
coffee house,
part
> billiards parlor, couches for reading, wonderful
food) that serves
these
> incredible sandwiches for lunches--the fillings vary
daily, but
they're
> always served on some sort of bread called "panini."
The sandwiches
are
> grilled, so I don't know how much of the "crunch" is
the bread, and
how
> much, the cooking method.  It's a flat bread, not as
flat as, oh,
say,
> pita, more along the lines of a pita-sized bread you
could use to
make a
> muffaleta (pardon the possible bad spelling).  I've
never seen the
bread
> anywhere else, but would love to find out more about
it (like,
recipes
> <g>).  Do any of you connisseurs and professional
food types have any
> idea about this bread?
> --Maire

Panini means "little bread" doesn't it? It sounds like
the bread is either small focacchia or ciabatta. Both
are rather flat, and the focaccia can be flovored with
herbs and other things. But both are used for italian
sandwiches. The sandwiches we got in Italy were either
on small rolls, or little squares of focaccia. there
are tons of focaccia recipes out there, ciabatta is a
little harder to find. But both are good, and you can
make small focaccia. I'd try www.allrecipes.com, or do
a search on whoever your favorite itlaian chef is.
baking is a big part of italian food, so most of them
have good recipes in their cookbooks, several should
be online. Good luck.
Nisha