SC OOP The coldness of British drinks (was Re: SC - Re: Persian lemons)

Elysant1 at aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Mon Dec 25 16:01:51 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/19/00 1:45:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Oh? No ice in the cola? I've heard that it is difficult to get iced tea
 in England. Any comments from those who are there or have visited? So,
 is putting ice chunks or cubes in beverages not done in Europe? What
 about cooling beverages in general? Is beer served cold?

I'm coming in on this thread late, so if this has been answered please
forgive me.

It is not customary to have your tea without milk in Britain in general.  I
can remember being in London some 20 years ago and a lady in the restaurant
of a large hotel asking for her hot tea with lemon, and they put the lemon in
on top of the milk in her cup.  It apparently curdled and the lady, who was
American, was quite irritated.  These days though, as there are many more
American type food places around in the UK, I think something like lemon
instead of sugar in tea, or iced tea might be more known about and available,
especially in the larger cities.  Ice in soda or "pop" is almost as much of a
common practice as it is here in the US, and refrigerated drinks are also
common.

As for beer being served cold (and by this I'm assuming you mean
refrigerated).  I have had lager beer served at room temperature and
sometimes served cold in Britain, and I dare say if someone was promoting
American beer, they'd chill it, as that's how it's served over here, but
British ales are served at room temperature (I think that fact was covered
here on the list not too long ago and previously).

Elysant