SC - candied peel question

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at broadband.att.com
Wed Dec 27 11:01:01 PST 2000

First of all, I've never tried to freeze the peels to keep them. I have
found out that if you boil the peels and then refrigerate them a day or two
before candying them, they become slimy and fragile - very difficult to
scrape the pith out without tearing them. I haven't tried this with
mandarins, so I don't know how they'll work.
I often get peels when doing a feast and needing freshly squeezed orange or
lemon juice. They *must* be boiled - I boil them three times - to cook the
pith, because you can't effectively get it out otherwise. If you freeze the
peels, you'll have to thaw them before candying, if only to boil them to
remove the pith. Don't leave the pith in them - they become tough and
bitter. I use a thin spoon and a wooden cutting board to scrape peels. The
spoon scoops the pith out, and the cutting board kind of "grabs" the outside
of the peel.
Hope this helps-

Maredudd