SC - What would you do?

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 27 14:34:10 PST 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
My first feast was just that, my first feast.  I had worked for years in the kitchens of other great Kitchen Stewards and Cooks.  I learned a lot.  The fact that my first forray was ina  very small shire helped my chances, as well as the fact that I has a headstrong autocrat pitching us as a package, and I was his first 'draft pick' for the kitchen.

Now that I am in a fairly large Barony, I seldom have gotten top billing for a feast for lots of reasons.  That has afforded me the wonderful opportunity of being a resource and tempering my skills in support of other cooks and organizers.  Some seek me out, while others are accepting of my offer of assistance.  I will look forward to being the main kitchen event again in the futrue, but in the mean time, I have made a niche and name for myself in being a strong support for those who are on the byline.

Decide your goal; mine was to cook medieval food, be a proponent of good cookery and get a reputation for quality and excellence.  More than one way to reach that goal has been found.  My other suggestion is to do invitational dinners for small groups.  Large events that sell out feast are a good opportunity to cook for others and begin building the foundation and earn trust from others.  The bottom line is that it takes trust and respect for a Host Group to give a person half the event cash outlay and ask them to serve food to the attendees.

niccolo difrancesco

"Nothing gives one more credit than making sure others get theirs, or giving credit away like candy to those who have earned it."
                                          ------ a mentor