SC - What would you do?

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Wed Dec 27 15:25:03 PST 2000

Jadwiga wrote:
> It's pretty much come to my attention that my local group is just never
going to consider me ready for 'the big time' (running an event or a
feast)-- there's always going to be one more hoop
> to jump through, for me and for others. ;) [Personality issues stink,
don't they?]

> Now, right now I certainly don't consider _myself_ ready to run a feast--
I'd need LOTS more practice with period cooking and sit-down meals, since
all my experience with SCA meal planning, preparation and serving has been
dayboards. However, I kinda would like to consider it a goal to cook an SCA
feast. <

    First off,  how brave are you?   "never ready for prime time"  just hits
me  SO WRONG!!  Are you willing to confront the  "Powers-that-be"  how they
assessed you as such?  You gotta be ready to separate & hear the
constructive criticism, from among all the emotional trash.

Also,  do as I do:  When I know I'm going to an event with feast,  I
call/contact the Cook, and tell them I'm available to help, what  time would
they like me there?   I then arrive, *apron in hand*, and start helping out.
I have made a name for myself as being the Kitchen Wench,  and was invited
by a neighboring Shire to be the Head Cook for a Crown Tourney  (my first
try at Head Cook).  By this time,  after helping out at other feasts (great
& small)  I was READY.

    A Caveat:  I don't have a local group  (there are 2 groups that claim
me,  both groups are 2 hrs+ drive one way) so all my kitchen work has been
as a non-local,  and I have been thanked for "saving" a couple of the
feasts.

    Trying not to fume . . . .

    Caointiarn