SC - RE:What would you do?

Cynthia Watson watson at interconnect.net
Thu Dec 28 17:20:05 PST 2000

Hello All,
    First of all I would like to thank everyone who commented concerning
matter,
it is greatly appreciated.  We contacted the people in charge, and on
this
occasion, it was an oversite, due to the fact it was a new experience
for these
people.  We ARE going to do this feast.  Concerning some of the
suggestions, we
have always put out booklets at our feasts for four important reasons,
1) many
people are not used to period cooking and by seeing the ingredients, we
hope
that they will feel more comfortable and enjoy the meal, 2) period
cookbooks can
be expensive and hard to come by 3) like all aspects of the SCA, there
is
potential for learning about history and the booklets help to achieve
this in
some small way and lastly 4) it helps anyone who might have food
allergies or
dietary restrictions.  So we do see the importance of booklets and we
are
putting one out this time as well.
    Concerning the recognition aspect,  I do not do these feasts to
receive
recognition, my main interest is researching and sewing garb, however, I
have
always enjoy cooking as a hobby in my mundane life and now in the SCA.
(As you
can tell by my family and the size of their hips!) However, even if no
one sees,
notices, or remembers my name in the Blackstar, I will know it was
there. I
simply want what every Feastocrat gets in the Blackstar, no more, no
less.  This
probably would not be an issue, except for the fact that it has happened

purposely before on two other occasions.  Once again this time was an
accident.
    As far as traveling and gifts for other cooks, that is almost an
impossibility, for I always travel with my daughter and her husband and
they are
not able to travel much at all.  In the last three years, I have
probably left
my area no more than five times.  As far as gifts, I would be afraid
that any
criticism from this cook would be biased, and I would prefer the truth,
be it
good or bad.  I would also prefer to be remember for my own merits or
because of
a friendship rather than an object. This is simply my personal opinion.
    Once again, we appreciate all comments, especially since my daughter
and I
are horrendous lurkers, thank you so much for your time. Happy New Year

Giulianna Irene Arentino
Ottavia Alessandra de Medicini