SC - breakfast

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 30 20:51:46 PST 2000

Hello the List!

I've finally caught up!

Food!  Breakfast!  What about breakfast!  (To quote Tim Severin)

Some time back I started preparing a paper on breakfast - I wonder where it
got to?  From memory - Thomas Peacham (late Elizabethan, wrote in old age in
early Stuart period) talks of - shocking! - spoiled children being given
wine caudles or white bread with almond butter.  I have a Flemish recipe for
almond butter, which I will post as soon as I find it, unless someone else
beats me to it.

Thomas Tusser talks (this is really straining the memory) of frumenty and
salt meat.  Check the Floriwhatsit;  I know that post was in there.

Yes, there is lots of stuff from the Ingatestone Hall records.  mainly brown
and white bread, salt fish, small beer/ale, ham/cold roast meat, chicken.

One totally unsubstantiated source (Elizabeth Taylor - not the same, I
trust) said QE1 had chicken broth for breakfast.

Personally I'd serve porridge, bread, almond butter, real butter,
coldhamcoldtonguecoldturkey (sorry Kenneth Grahame) and I'd seriously
consider doing a caudle (or a curdle in my case).

Must dash, but will look at home for that paper.

Cairistiona