SC - OOP:Special Opportunity from Jessica's Biscuit Cookbooks!

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 2 10:42:51 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/1/00 4:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> xtal at sigenetics.com writes:
>
> << I've had it in my head that "gravy" or roux -- you know, that flour cooked
>  in fat stuff Grandmamma makes at Thanksgiving -- is an out of period
>  technique, but I am not sure where I read/heard that. >>
>
> I don't think it has been determined that it is out of period. It has merely
> been stressed that the use of this technique is not found in medieval
> manuscripts. Sabrina's book is well within the early modern cookery period
> but well outside the  period of medieval cuisine.
>
> Ras

The deal is that prior to widespread examination of and research into
the Sabina Welserin cookbook of, I think, 1553, it was commonly believed
that the first documented use of roux in a European source occurred in
La Varenne's "Le Cuisinier Francais" (or something like that) dated at
roughly 1650. Not medieval, not period (yesyesyess, some of us use Digby
and he's even later, but what the hey...). Sabina Welserin's cookbook is
from 1553, some hundred years earlier, putting it arguably in the late
Middle Ages but definitely in the SCA period.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com