SC - question about a book

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Thu Feb 3 15:31:26 PST 2000

CONNECT at aol.com wrote:
>snip

> My questions are:
>
> Does Sir Digbie talk about potatoes in his book? Do any books of that time?
>
> An argument could be made that potatoes aren't Elizabethan, but what about
> this late date?
>
> When is the first cookbook that contains a receipe for potatoes?

Well, I have just skimmed a book that had references to potatoes used in
Elizabethan times.  The was by Alison Sim & called Food & Feast in Tudor
England.  Alas, I only glimpsed it & do not have current access to it for a bit.
The book seemed fairly well referenced & if I recall correctly, during the
discussion on potatoes & when they arrived in England etc, the reference given
was (I think) to Culpepper's Herbal or something similar.  There was some debate
as to whether the white potatoes were actually used, but a recipe was given for
sweet potatoes which was referenced to a period source (alas my memory does not
serve me as to which source).
Lorix

> Your assistance is gratefully appreciated!
> Rosalyn MacGregor
> (Pattie Rayl)

Hope this helps,

Lorix