SC - medieval menu

Margo Farnsworth mfarnsworth at mfgraffix.com
Fri Feb 4 11:21:44 PST 2000

Hello...
   I am back again.  Last time I subscribed to this was about 3 years ago,
and the number of posts got so overwhelming, that I had to unsubscribe
because I couldn't keep up with the list and a new baby at the same time.
Now I have 3 children instead of 2, and my youngest is 19 months old.  But
I am going to try this anyway.
   I will be going to an SCA Pot-Luck Revel on Feb. 12th and I want to
bring a Sort of Bread and Dip recipe.  One time I saw a "recipe" of sorts
on here for a Bread Peacock.  I don't know if I'm up to all that, too many
feathers for the tail, but I thought maybe a BREAD SWAN would be a good
idea?  I was wondering if anyone has a semi-period bread recipe that would
work for making a shaped bread like this?
   My idea is to bake several pieces separately, like the body, the tail,
the wings, and the head/neck.  Then after it is cooled, I would slice the
top off the body section, cut the middle out, and put the dip (a whipped
butter, or Mascarpone?) in the cavity and then re-cover it with the top
slice.  Use the pieces for dipping.  And put the wings up against the side,
and the tail in the back and stick the neck down inside the body using the
dip to hold it in place.
   I think a Challah recipe would work for this, or even a French Bread
recipe.  But if someone has tried some other recipe that would have some
history behind it that I could post on a sign with the bread, that would be
really neat.  Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.

- -Laurene

                                 Happy New Millennium!
                                                 from
                             Heaven's Blessings Tiny Zoo