SC - Cuskeynoles

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 17:47:16 PST 2000

At 8:52 AM -0600 2/3/00, Jessica Tiffin wrote:
>Steffan of the Close asked:
>  > Does anyone know of any period references containing portuguese
>  > recipes?  I have a hankering to do a feast with a portuguese theme.  I
>  > really like modern portuguese food but I have been unable to turn up any
>  > portuguese manuscripts.
>
>We have one manuscript which is a translation into English of the
>translation into modern Portuguese of a 15th-century Portuguese
>cookbook.  Full details: Um Tratado Da Cozinha Portuguesa Do Seculo
>XV (A Text on Portuguese Cooking from the Fifteenth Century)
>Translated by Jane L. Crowley From a modern Portuguese text by
>Professor Antonio Gomes Filho. Copyright 1988 by Jane L. Crowley
>
>This contains some interesting recipes, but it's impossible to
>determine where the recipe is translating the original and where the
>translator is filling in for herself - it reads more like a modern
>cookbook than a medieval one.  The collection used to be in
>Cariadoc's collection, but as far as I remember he removed it after
>discovering that he was infringing copyright.

Correct. The manuscript is an English translation of a moden
Portuguese translation of a period original. I pulled it when I
realized that it was covered by the copyright of the modern
Portuguese translator. Hopefully, at some point, I will get someone
to retranslate from the original, which is included in the Portuguese
edition along with the modern Portuguese translation, but I haven't
gotten around to organizing that project yet, I'm afraid.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/