SC - medieval menu

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 5 17:42:30 PST 2000

I was just watching a PBS cooking show, "Cut up & Cook", and the topic
was round cuts of beef and how much you could stretch and make from a
single round by pounding them flatter with a spiked tenderizer hammer.
The guy on the show commented, while pounding, that 'tenderizing' wasn't
needed as much, as the beef doesn't 'need tenderizing, but does need
flavour', a result of 18 months at market age versus 5-6 years, and
modern breeding practices.

He also mentioned a cleaning practice used at a butcher shop he worked
at, where they would wash and scrape off the butcher blocks at night,
then he had the job of salting them. Salting involved cutting lemons in
halve and scrubbing the block with them, them pouring on a thick layer
of salt (say 1/8 inch or 3-4mm) and letting it sit over night. It was
washed off in the morning. Seems like a suitable practice for an SCA
camp, versus chlorine bleach and mundane soaps. Anyone heard of a period
cleaning practice like this? I wonder if vinegar would work as well.
Almost sounds like you're pickling the block.

Real tempted to get a pet hamster and call him Cuskynole. :)

Seumas