SC - Something Shaped as a Dragon?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Feb 6 10:07:47 PST 2000

> I'm pretty sure there's a secondary reference to ashes being used to
> clean wooden and earthenware containers in Henisch's "Fast and Feast";
> this would make sense since ashes would serve as a _mildly_ caustic
> alkaline "soap", as well as a mild abrasive, similar in many respects to
> something like Comet or other abrasive cleansers. Besides, they were free.

Well, the ash itself wouldn't be soap, but should it combine with any fats
on the containers, soap would form. Potash is formed from ash, and potash is
a form of lye, which is used in things like drain and oven cleaners
nowadays.

Branwen
(who is brand new to the SCA, from the Barony of Nordskogen, Principality of
Northshield, Midrealm, and a soapmaker - amongst other things!)