SC - New World Foods-rant

FireIceWindRain@aol.com FireIceWindRain at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 14:07:52 PST 2000

Lainie wrote:
>Couple small OOPS-
>
>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > turkey, beaver, raccoon, possum, bison (American buffalo), and other
> > animals i'm not sure of - and there must be a whole lot of indigenous
> > fish...
>
>Beaver are new world.

I know you meant to say old world here...

>They are included in the Beastiaries (which are,
>of course, In The Basement). We associate them with the New World
>because of the beaver trade- but fact is, they had become endangered,
>and that is why Europeans were so thrilled to discover a seemingly
>inexhaustible supply in the New World.

I confess limited zoological knowledge, but aren't New World beavers
different from Old World beavers? After all, Robins in the US and
Robins in England are two different unrelated birds.

> > nuts such as pecans, Brazil nuts, Macadamia nuts (cashews are Asian,
> > peanuts aren't nuts), hmmm, filberts?
>
>I think hazelnuts are English, but I couldn't swear an oath on the
>matter.

Yes, hazelnuts are old world, i guess i'm thinking of some other
Southern US nut... (botanical, not human)

Anahita al-shazhiya
floundering for answers
(yes, flounder are Old World)