SC - Response from author of horrible period foods article.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Feb 9 15:33:33 PST 2000

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/9/00 5:44:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:
>
> << Beaver are new world. >>
> I recall that beaver tail was considered non meat for fast days in the 14th
> C. I believe they were eaten to extinction in England.
>
> Could be wrong tho,
> Hauviette

You're not wrong- that is one of the funnier examples of folks trying to
avoid the meat prohibitions on fast days- beavers were 'thought to be'
*wink wink* a type of fish. Another notorious example was the so-called
'barnacle goose', which hung from trees and was called a fruit.

The question was, however, if the old world and new world varieties were
indeed the same species. I can't remember off the top of my head, though
I suspect it is. And the books are in the basement. BUT- I distinctly
remember that this conversation came 'round once before- within the past
year, I think, and I remember that Ras made an especially
appealing/appalling comment about eating beaver ('tastes rather fishy')
that had me laughing for days. I don't have copies anymore, sadly, but
maybe someone else does?

Froma the land of Ducks (YAY!!) and Beavers (Boo! Barkeaters! Boo!)

'Lainie
University of Oregon Alumna